The columns shown in the main screen are as follows:
Login - This is the login name that was created for the user record. If no username was set up, it will be the email address entered otherwise it will be the username. Filling in the username field is not required by the system.
Last Name, First Name - The first and last name of the user.
Email - the email address for the user
Guest - In a B2C site you can set the site to allow a customer to place an order as a Guest. This avoids them having to create a login before placing the order. The box in this column will be checked if that particular user ordered from the site as a Guest. To learn more about the Guest Checkout option, see here.
Create Date - This is the date the user record was created. If there is no date indicated it means the record was created before Pressero added this functionality.
Last Login - This is the last date the user logged into the site. If a user visits your informational or retail site without logging in, the date is not captured. They must be logged in to trigger this date fields. If there is not date indicated, it means they have not logged in since Pressero added this functionality.
Last Order - This is the date the user last ordered through the site. If there is not date indicated, it does not necessarily mean they have never ordered. It means they have not ordered since we added this functionality to Pressero.
Adding a New User
You can add Users in the following ways:
1. Manually through the administrative area.
Click on the "Add New User" link. Depending on the type of site you are working with, different options will be available. To view and re-activate a previously deleted user, check the box “Include Deleted Users” at the top of the page. To edit a user, select the pencil icon beside the Username of the user.
Personal Information section
First Name - required field. Enter the name of the user.
Last Name - also required. Enter the last name of the user you are adding.
Email - required. Each user record must have a unique email address. You can not have more than one user using the same email address or you will not be able to save the record. If you get an error message that the record can not be created, make sure that you have not previously used that email address and that it is not an email address for a deleted user account (select the "include deleted users" link at the top of the page to check this area). The "@" character is required in Email.
Time Zone - Make sure to select the correct time zone for this user so their view for order and email dates and times is correct.
Create Date - This is an informational only field. After the record is created the day and time will be noted. If that field is blank on a user account that already exists, it means that the record was created before we started collecting this information.
Last Login - This is an informational only field. Each time this user logs in to the site, the date and time will be recorded here.
Last Order - Whenever the user places an order in this store, the date and time will be updated here. This field is not used for informational sites.
Login Information section
Username: This is optional but if your user would prefer to log into the admin area using a username instead of the email address, enter one here. The "@" character cannot be used in a Username. Each username must be unique. You can not have more than one user with the same username or you will not be able to save the record. If you get an error message that the record can not be created, make sure that you have not previously used that username and that it is not an username for a deleted user account (select the "include deleted users" link at the top of the page to check this area).
New Password and Confirm Password - This is required. After entering the password you must confirm it to make sure you entered it correctly. You will not see this entry when you return to the user account after saving for security reasons. The staff of Aleyant can not tell you what was entered in these fields either. If an admin user forgot the password, a new password will need to be entered here and the account will need to be re-saved.
Is Guest User - only seen in a B2C site. If this box is checked it means that that particular retail site user ordered as a Guest and did not create a log in. The second time the user orders from you they will be converted to a normal user and this box will be unchecked.
Integration ID - If this user is using an integration with an MIS system, use this input to tie the user account back to the MIS system.
Additional Information section - Not seen in an Informational site (except for Tax ID field), or a B2C (retail) site (except for Tax ID field and Tax Exempt setting).
User's Orders Approved By - If orders by the user must be approved, select the group that will approve the order. Leaving this blank will indicate that the users orders do not need to be approved and their orders will be marked "approved" in the site and in the admin order area.
The User's "Approved By" Group setting can be left blank, or a Group can be selected. If you select a Group, it will only be used by an Approval Plan that has the "The Site Group assigned to approve the user's orders" option checked in the "Who will approve orders that match this rule?" area. (Sites > Approval Plans > Rule).
User Orders under this Approval Plan - The standard package has a default approval process. This basically says that if a user requires approval, all their orders will require approval and based on who is in the approval group, that is the person(s) that will have to approve the order. The advanced approval workflow allows you to set up any number of approval workflows... maybe based on a product, or an attribute of a product, or a dollar amount, etc. If you have multiple approval workflows set up, you may select the approval plan that this user must go through for orders that require an approval process. Each user can only have one approval process that their account will follow.
When setting up a custom approval plan, each user account does not need to have that custom approval selected for it to apply to their orders. Instead, make the plan the "Default Approval Plan" for the site (Sites >Settings > General ), and users do not have to be individually set. If you have some users that should use a different plan than others, then you can set them individually. But this situation should be very rare.
Purchase Order Requirement - You may choose to require a purchase order entry on the checkout page, make it optional, or not even ask. Note: this setting can override the setting on the site settings page if "Use Site Settings" is not selected. Example: If the user account is set to optional and the site settings page has the PO requirement as "required", and the "Use Site Settings" box IS checked, then regardless of the setting here in the site user account, the PO will be required at checkout.
Default P.O. Number - . Default purchase order number to be added in the checkout screen. If you have defined any purchase order numbers in the Purchase Order Codes admin page, they will appear here. You may also enter a purchase order code directly into this field. If the purchase order requirement is set to "do not ask" but a default PO number is provided here, the default PO number will be assigned to the order without any entry by the user/buyer.
Location - If the B2B site is set up with locations then the drop down list will display all the locations available. Assign this user to the location they belong to. This will either be set by default in the store if the site is set to not collect a shipping or billing address, or it will be the default address in the store but allow another choice if the site is set to ask the user to choose a location.
Boss - Select the boss for this user. The drop down list will contain all the site users set up in this particular store. The boss can be used in some advanced approval workflows.
Department - Select the users department if the site is using locations and departments.
User Account is Approved - This must be selected to allow the user to log into the site. For B2B sites that have user self sign up and they require approval by an approval manager, this box will remain unchecked until the user account has been approved.
User Account is Shared - If you want this user account to be shared with multiple users, check this box. Please Note: The people do not have a User account of their own. Sometimes this is used so every/any employee at a given customer location can place an order for that location. In this case, the Shared account is restricted. Those who login using the account will not be able to edit the account name, username, password, address, etc. This prevents them from accidentally hijacking the account. Provided you allow Site Users to have access to the Address Book (Sites > Settings > General tab), those with a shared account WILL be able to see addresses but they will not be able to add or edit addresses. They will not see order history, or profile information and will not be able to re-order from a previous order placed. If you have enabled Save For Later on your site, shared users will NOT be able to use that feature. More than one user can be logged on to a shared account at the same time. They will not be able to see or edit each other's items.
Consider the payment method you are using: If you want to require that shared account users pay with credit card, you will need to consider which payment providers you use to collect the credit card information. For payment methods that process the credit card in the store (do not go to another site such as PayPal to have the credit card processed), the customer will not be able to enter a billing address during checkout so it must exist already in the list of locations added to the site.
User Can View Pricing - If this box is not checked your user will not be able to see pricing. They will still be able to order but there will be no price displayed. This is during the ordering process and in the order history for their account.
Tax ID - available in B2B and B2C sites (not in an informational site). This is the default Tax ID for the site. If this is entered the uses will not be required to enter a Tax ID while ordering.
Tax Exempt - Click this box if the user is tax exempt.
Receive Notifications check box - the Pressero system will generate email notifications from the system when certain events happen. This could be when an order is placed, when a file has been uploaded to a form on a page, when a proof is approved, etc. If you want this particular user to receive these notifications (sent to the email address set up here), then check this box.
Receive All Notifications - not available in an informational or a B2C (retail) site. If this box is checked this user will receive ALL notifications generated from this site. It is generally not suggested that this box be checked, but if you have a B2B manager that wants to keep an eye on all orders being placed for their company, but do not want to bother with an approval workflow, this can be a good solution.
2. Another way to add a user is to allow the user to create their own accounts via the website. In a B2B or Informational site you can activate the option to “Allow Self-Signup.” When allowed, the login page for the site will include a link to create an account. In a B2C site the user be default will be able to create their own accounts. IMPORTANT: You must set up "New User Defaults" so that the correct settings are given to this customer when they sign up. See below for information on setting these defaults.
Below is an example of a login screen for a B2B site, notice that there is a link for "Create an account". This is added to the login box when the permission is set in the site general settings area of admin.
While both the informational and B2B sites allow self sign up, only in a B2B environment can you also set an option to have the account be approved by someone. This person will be the approval manager and they will receive an email from the system letting them know a user has requested permission to sign up... if approved, the user will receive an email to let them know they can now login to the site and order. See Admin > Sites > Choose Site > Settings > General Tab for the option to set both the self sign up and also the option to choose an approval manager.
Below is the sign up for a customer will see when they sign up for their own account.
The prompts in the form should be self explanatory except depending on your site settings, there could be some differences seen on this form:
- Require Username for Self-Signup. In the site settings of a B2B site only, you will have the option to choose if the username is required or not. In the example above, it is not required.
- Address Book Mode - In the site settings of a B2B site only, you will choose how the addresses for the site will be managed. The choices are: Address Book only, Location Mode only, or both. Address book means that the site user/buyer is able to manage their own address book and choose from those addresses when ordering instead of picking from a list of locations set up for them to choose from. If the site is set to Address Book only, the location field seen in the above example will not exist in the form.
- Address Requirement - When Address Book Mode is set to either Address Book or Both, an address will be prompted for and required in B2B storefronts. The address form prompts will not display if in Location Mode. In the case of B2C sites, the Address is always prompted and required.
3. Another way to add a user is to give a user permission to add new users via their website login (B2B stores). This works well for managers who want to add new employee's to their storefront.
Below is an image of the page a site user can add and edit other users in their same site. In order for a site user to see the options for editing their own profile, changing their password, manage their own addresses, and manage other users in the site, they must have a link to this area. In the Site > Navigation area of admin you can drag/drop the Profile link to any one of your 4 navigation menu's. The Profile link in the image below is in menu 1.
On the Profile page you can see the site user can add new users, delete users and edit the user account right from their own B2B portal. This option is most always reserved for a manager of the company.
When the user chooses to add or edit another user they will get the screen shown below. Notice that depending on the options set in the sites settings, this person can set more than just the users personal information. Depending on the site settings, they can also set:
- The Boss
- Group to approve orders for this user
- Whether they can get email notifications for themselves, or
- Whether they can get ALL email notifications sent out for this site
- If they are tax exempt
- What Group they are in
Important! In order for a user to have permission to add new users, or edit and delete them in their own site, that user must be given permission to do so. Below is an example of the site group settings for the user with these permissions. You can learn more about "Site Groups" in the next chapter.
4. The other way you can add a user is to upload a database list you fill in. You will find a user import/export option for this. When you download the database file provided, it will contain the current records so you can change/add/update the user information and import into the system.
In the image below you can see that at the very top of the main Site User page, there are four additional options. Edit New User Defaults, Import/Export, Import/Export Address Books, and MailChimp Integration. Use the Import/Export option to add new users when you have a lot of users to add.
Select Import / Export User and the following window will open.
You will then need to download the Excel user import template by clicking the Download Excel template button. The Excel file must be formatted properly. The template contains comments explaining what each column needs to contain.
Important things to remember:
- The Username, or the Email address, or both must be supplied. Either one can be left blank, but they cannot both be blank.
- The Username cannot be an email address.
- The "Approved By" column must either be blank, or it must match the name of a Group that already exists for this site.
- Use Group1 through Group5 columns to assign the User to one or more Groups in the site. Group names you enter in the column cells must match the name of a Group that already exists for this site. Do not use an asterisk as part of the name you enter. One or more Group columns can be filled in and the remaining columns can be blank. If all Group cells for a user are blank, the User will not be assigned to any Group.
- The Location column must be either blank, or it must match the Location Code of a Location that already exists for this site.
- The Department column must be either blank, or it must match the name of a Department that already exists for this site.
- The Country must be the two letter abbreviation for the country. Typing out the full country name will import the address, but the system will not correctly recognize the address.
- The timezone must be formatted according to the guide found in this article.
- You can download a starter file for an account that already has users added, by clicking "Export now." Those users will be included in the file so you can remove or edit them.
- Passwords cannot be included in the file export. Leave the password fields blank if you do not want to change the passwords.
- For any new records, a password is required.
Once complete, upload your completed Excel file. Then click "Import Now." You will need to refresh your site user page for the new users to appear in the site user list. To do this, click on a different menu area and then click back to your site users area.
Note - choosing to replace existing items will delete all current users and replace them with your imported file. If you also have the option to "Send Email Notification" selected, all users will be sent a "New User Approved" email. If you only want to send emails to those being added for the first time, do not use the replace option.
Editing and Deleting User Records and their address information
If you would like to edit the user information, click on the pencil icon beside their name. You can also import address books for users.
Some user accounts will not have any addresses. This would be true for an informational site, or for a B2B site that is in location mode only, or one that is set to both address book and locations but the user has not yet added any personal addresses to their account.
While you can delete a user record and later re-activate it by selecting the "Include Deleted Users" link at the very top of the page and "saving" the open record again, you cannot reactivate an address that has been deleted.
To edit or add to a user's address book, you have the following two options:
1) Manually edit or add an address - To edit or add address detail to their account, select the pencil icon. Select the "Address Book" tab at the top of the page. A list of addresses that are assigned to this user account will display. You can click on the pencil icon beside each of those addresses to edit the information or delete the record all together. You can click the "Add New Address" button to add a new address to the user's address book. See image below.
2) Import address book - To import address books, you will first need to download the User Address Books Import template (similar to the site user import) by clicking the Download Excel template button. You will then fill in the template and upload it back into the "Upload Excel File" area and click "Import Now".
The image below shows the window you see after clicking the Import/Export Address Books button.
Similarly, you can export the users' address books, edit them and re-import them to edit existing address books.
Setting the User Group Membership
In order for a user to be able to login to the site and order, they must belong to a group. When your acount is created the "Everyone" group will be added as a default. This may be the only group you ever need. In cases where you want different users to have a different experience in the site, setting up additonial groups is the way to achieve that flexibility. Adding the user to a group(s) they need to belong to is done in the third tab in the site user area "Site Group Membership". A list of the groups created in the site will display, simply check the box(s) that apply to this user. Some of the reasons you may want multiple groups:
- Some users have more permissions allowed in the site
- An approval workflow is active in the site and you need approval managers specified
- Pricing is different for different groups of people
- Some products are hidden or shown to only specific users or groups of users
New User Defaults
In the image above you can see that at the bottom of the Site User main screen there are some additional options, one of them being an area to set new user defaults. This is used so that when a customer creates their own account, Pressero knows what settings to give them by default.
See below example of the new user default settings for a B2B site. If a user creates an account for themselves in this store they will by default start out with these settings. These settings can be changed by the account admin, or if permission is given, by a manager of a B2B site.
The site user MailChimp settings are also at the bottom of the main user admin page. This integration will allow you to push Users in any of your Pressero storefronts into any of the mailing lists you have created in MailChimp. The User information can be easily added to MailChimp.
Please note: The script to add a sign up form on your website does not work on https sites (sites with an SSL certificate). There is an alternative method of making this work for you: Mailchimp provides a default link when a signup form is created. This link can be put on any page in your site and will provide you with a url to redirect the user to a page where they can sign up for your mailing list.
Knowledge Base articles related to site users and MailChimp