Imposition Schemes can be created and used with your eDocBuilder templates to produce imposed production files for your orders. Imposition schemes are defined in this window, and then referenced on the templates that will use them. You can define multiple imposition schemes for your account, and manage them from this area of eDocBuilder.
This listing will be empty on a new account, any imposition schemes must be created for your templates using the Create New Scheme button. Once imposition schemes have been added to your account, they will show on this listing when you select the Imposition tab at the top of the window. The image below shows two imposition schemes setup in an account.
When you create and edit a new imposition scheme, the options for that imposition scheme can be chosen on the window.
The imposition scheme starting point depends on imposition type you choose. A preview of the imposition scheme will be shown on the right of the window, and will be updated as changes are made. The starting point will be displayed after Save, but below is a general description for each
- Step & Repeat
There's no difference; all spots are the same.
- Saddle Stitch
Start at bottom right, then counter clockwise.
- Cut & Stack
Start at bottom left, then counter clockwise. This option also offers an additional checkbox for "Cut/Stack through batches", which will cause eDocBuilder to to generate batches that can be cut and stacked as a unit.
- Die Cut looks like this:
Start at top left, number top to bottom in first column of first page, then top to bottom in first column of second page, etc., to bottom of stack; then start over with top to bottom in second column of first page, then top to button in second column of 2nd page, etc. to bottom of stack, then third column ...
Top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right
Top left, bottom left, top right, bottom right
The image below shows the settings for an 8-up business card imposition scheme. The name is simply a label that identifies the imposition scheme.
The preview can be downloaded as a PDF file for checking the imposition layout more closely, by clicking the View PDF link below the preview.
Settings for the imposition scheme are listed and described below. The units of measurement that are used in the imposition schemes can be set from the upper-right of the window using the Define Measurements setting, which allows a selection of: Points, Inches, Feet, Microns, Millimeters, Centimeters, or Meters. This defines the units of measure in the eDocBuilder account. All measurements of page sizes, field sizes, imposition widths and heights are expressed in this unit. Only font size remains in points no matter what is selected for the measurement units.
Settings for the imposition scheme
||The title of the imposition scheme, displayed in the imposition list screen.
||The press sheet width from the left to right edge of sheet.
||The press sheet width from the lead edge (or gripper) to the trail edge of sheet.
||The width of the finished product, from trim to trim.
||The height of the finished product, from trim to trim.
||The width of the product, including bleed image.
||The height of the product, including bleed image.
||The left margin dimension, from edge of sheet to the left-most trim line. Bleed image is included within this dimension.
||The bottom margin of the sheet, from edge to trim. This area may be defined as the press gripper margin, and will include bleed image area.
||The inside margin between two products, left to right, including the image bleed.
||The inside margin between two products, top to bottom, including the image bleed.
||Number of ups, stepped left to right.
||Number of ups, stepped front to back.
||Method of imposition. Options include Step & Repeat, Saddle Stitch, Cut and Stack, Across/Down, and Down/Across. (See below for more information about these method types.)
||The number of pages attached together in one signature. (Available for Saddle Stitch imposition methods only.)
||Displays crop marks in the imposition scheme.
||Duplex checkbox creates a backup imposition.
||Allows for selecting an existing template and detecting settings from that template. You can base the Imposition you are creating off the Trim and Bleed width and height from the selected template.
||The overlay file is only used if you need additional information and/or markings on the imposed sheet. You can upload a PDF that has specific markings you need that will be overlaid on each page of the imposed output.
Templates using this imposition:
This section lists each template this imposition is associated with.
Click the red "X" to remove this imposition from the listed template.
To associate with a new template click the plus "+" icon next to "Associate new template with this imposition". The page will refresh and you will now see the Associate and Cancel buttons as well as a drop down list of templates. Select a template then click Associate.
Save Scheme & Return to List
Be sure to click Save Scheme after making any changes to the imposition.
Return to List will return you to the main page of the Imposition tab.
Imposition method types
The following options are available in the Method dropdown menu when creating or editing an imposition scheme:
- Step & Repeat - Use this method to produce a full sheet (with one or many copies) for each record in your document. Step & Repeat and Saddle Stitch are the only methods that will function correctly with templates that do not use a variable data upload.
- Saddle Stitch - Use this method for documents that will be bound together with a saddle stitch (such as a booklet). This method requires a single document of many pages in order to function correctly.
- Cut and Stack - This method will only function correctly with templates that use a variable data upload. When selected, it gives you the option of checking an additional checkbox called "Cut/Stack through batches". If this additional checkbox is selected, the imposition will generate batches so that when placed on top of each other they can be cut and stacked as a unit. The “View imposition preview” button will also download a ZIP of four small PDFs.
- Die cut - This is a hybrid of the Cut and Stack and Down/Across methods. This method will only function correctly with templates that use a variable data upload.
- Across/Down - This method will only function correctly with templates that use a variable data upload.
- Down/Across - This method will only function correctly with templates that use a variable data upload.
- The Bleed measurement in an imposition must include the Trim area amount. This is different than most desktop layout programs, where those would be specified separately.
- Gutter Width & Height is the distance between the trims, not the bleeds.
- The output width would be the width of the sheet you are printing on, and is equal to: (bleedwidth + gutterwidth) * nupX - gutterwidth. And the output height is the height of the sheet you are printing on and is equal to: (bleedheight + gutterheight) * nupY - gutterheight.
- For chop cuts, set the gutter width or height to zero. The correct bleeds will automatically be suppressed.
- To automatically fill in information based on an existing template, enter the output width & height, select the template from the drop down box, and click the 'Copy Info' button.
- For Saddle Stitch books, set the Signature Size to 0 to automatically include all pages in the book.
- Errors when saving imposition schemes are most often incorrect measurement values being entered.
At the upper-right corner of the window, set Units to Inches, then go to the Imposition tab and select Create Imposition Scheme. Give the new imposition scheme a Scheme Name, this will be used when setting a template to to reference this imposition scheme. The example scheme measurements below are for a 2-up on a letter sheet with values in inches. After you enter these values for the new imposition scheme and hit Save Scheme, you should see a message that the save was successful, and the imposition preview file will generate and be available after a few moments, which allows you to download a proof of the imposition scheme that was setup.
Scheme Name: Example Letter
Output Width: 8.5
Output Height: 11
Trim Width: 8.125
Trim Height: 4.917
Bleed Width: 8.125
Bleed Height: 4.917
Left Margin: 0.208
Bottom Margin: 0.139
Gutter Width: 0.278
Gutter Height: 0.278
n-Up x: 1
n-Up y: 2
The second example below is an 8-up, duplexed business card layout with fronts and back. Before creating this example, go back to Units at the upper-right and set it to be Points, then go to Create Imposition Scheme and use the values below to fill out the scheme. Once the scheme has been successfully saved and the preview generated, you can download the preview to confirm how the imposition scheme will produce.
Scheme Name: 8up BC_No Bleed
Output Width: 612
Output Height: 792
Trim Width: 252
Trim Height: 144
Bleed Width 252
Bleed Height: 144
Left Margin: 54
Bottom Margin: 108
Gutter Width: 0
Gutter Height: 0
n-Up x: 2
n-Up y: 4
Signature Size: 0
Include Crops: X